It’s hard to come up with an idea for a small change. We’ve done a fair amount of things already:
- solar panels
- tankless water heater
- tore up our lawn, replaced primarily with natives
- growing some of our own produce in earthboxes on the roof
- replaced nearly all bulbs with CFLs
- use cloth napkins instead of paper
- shop for produce at the FM
- buy meat & eggs at the FM (not always able to do so…perhaps that can be one thing to add to the to-do list, to do so exclusively)
One thing we’ve gotten a bit complacent about is electricity — though we produce more than we use, we can cut back a bit in our usage.
So, for this month:
- turn off computer monitor when not in use, and preferentially use the laptop rather than the desktop (unless I need to use the desktop to use specific software)
- make sure we turn out lights when we leave the room
- unplug the deck lights, unless we’re actually up there at night (I think they’re pretty, but how often do I look at them?)
- buy meat & eggs exclusively at the FM (we can get bison & chicken & chicken eggs at the Torrance FM)
Interested in the challenge? Check out Hip Mountain Mama: One Small Change.