≡ Menu

2011 Goals Part Two: Purely Personal

I’d like to explore more of our local parks and beaches, maybe find some nice waterfall hikes.

I joined the Runagogo challenge on Ravelry, which is to cover 100 miles in 3 months.  Biking, swimming, elliptical, walking, running — if the miles can be estimated/calculated, it counts.

I’d like to learn to make good bread from scratch, not just via the bread machine.  This is especially important because our bread machine flung itself off the counter while making its most recent loaf.  It’s still working, but the corner of the casing is broken & missing pieces.  You can see the cables going from the display to the guts of the machine.  The oven part itself is intact.

broken after suicide attempt

innards viewed through the broken bits

I’d like to try some of the recipes I’d cut out from various magazines;  if I’m going to bother to keep them I should try them to see if they’re worth keeping.

I’d like to learn how to cook dried beans so they get tender.  So far, despite trying various techniques, I’ve had little success. Any tips?

I’d like to learn how to can, and actually do it, with either my own produce or using gorgeous in-season ripe stuff from the Farmer’s Market (so I can enjoy it without guilt when it’s not in season).

On a totally different tangent, I’d like to learn how to sew.  I read the Green Apples blog, which used to be a knitting blog, but is now really a sewing blog.  She comes up with supercute outfits.  This goal was reinforced by my recent shopping excursion.  How hard can it be to find a brown and black herringbone skirt? Impossible.  But probably not if I could sew.

What are some of your nonknitting goals?

14 comments… add one
  • Anne January 18, 2011, 10:07 am

Wow. Go you. That is an awesome challenge – good luck!!

• Lina January 18, 2011, 11:41 am

I had to laugh at your bread machine attempting suicide… have you been working her too hard?

I make beans a lot (Brazilian here!) and the only way I’ve found that doesn’t take forever is with a pressure cooker. Otherwise it takes way too long soaking the beans then boiling them! It’s funny too because my first gift from my mom after moving out was a pressure cooker! I don’t know a single Brazilian that doesn’t have one in their kitchen. 😉

• StephCat January 18, 2011, 11:43 am

I don’t have a pressure cooker….I think, if I got one, I would use it for other things as well. Bet I could find one on Craigslist….

• betty January 18, 2011, 12:50 pm

I always just soaked my beans overnight then cooked them (baked bean variety–i.e. small pea beans). works for navy beans as well.

• Robin January 18, 2011, 1:24 pm

I have to recommend this blog if you’re thinking of sewing: http://www.blogforbettersewing.com/
    I don’t sew, but I sew vicariously through Gertie. 😉 She’s on twitter as Sew Gertie Sew, I think.

My goal is to make some mittens, as I made fingerless mitts all fall and my fingers are freezing. 😉 Fortunately, you just published some mitten patterns!

My non-knitting goal is to revise my current novel and write the next one. 🙂

• StephCat January 18, 2011, 1:31 pm

thanks for the blog link!

and good luck with your novel! did I ever ask if you’ve read (or like) the Cherie Priest books?

• StephCat January 18, 2011, 1:32 pm

thanks Betty! I’ve tried that and not so much luck. But it could very well be the problem is in the cooking, not the soaking.

• Robin January 18, 2011, 5:15 pm

Congrats on setting some awesome goals. Sewing is such a creative and useful skill to have, and you’ll be turning out cool sewn/ knitted combos before you know it! The Runagogo thing will be a blast too. 😉

• LizzyA January 25, 2011, 1:35 pm

As for beans…. Where are you buying them and how long are you storing them? Beans get old. You need a source that has a quick turnover so that the beans are fresh. I have the opposite problem, my beans always turn mushy if I cook them for the recipe time.

• StephCat January 25, 2011, 1:38 pm

I got some from SeedSavers — but will admit that I didn’t cook them up right away.

• meryl chesebrough February 2, 2011, 7:54 pm

Don’t add salt to your cooking water. Makes them tough. Season after they are cooked.

• earth September 5, 2011, 6:56 pm

Don’t have a pressure cooker…. I think, if I got one, I would use it for other things as well. Bet I could find one on Craigslist….:)

• kerry lee November 6, 2011, 2:09 am

• darknight0506 November 9, 2011, 12:03 pm

Where are you buying them and how long are you storing them? Beans get old. You need a source that has a quick turnover so that the beans are fresh. | 😛