≡ Menu

Crafty Detour CSI: Most Wanted

© Heather Zoppetti

Today I’m hosting the first stop fo the Crafty Detour CSI sock book tour.  This is a wonderful collection of sock patterns, all with their own cute story.  Both toe up & cuff down patterns are included.  Techniques range from easy textured patterns to more complex cables and a stranded pattern.  Heather, the designer, answers a few questions here.

So…how did you guys decide on what types of patterns? And what didn’t make the cut this time?
Ida was embarking on a year long journey of sock making, and I love making socks, so it was a natural choice. I wanted to explore all types of sock making techniques as well as many types of knitted fabric. So, not only are there toe up, cuff down, heel flap, short rows etc., but there are also lace, cables, colorwork… A couple of ideas came and went as they ended up either simply not working or being too close to an existing design.

Are there plans for a sequel?
At this time, no, but maybe…I’ve had my fill of socks for a while. Maybe some other type of accessory? Keep an eye on craftydetour.com if anything comes about, we will be sure to announce it there.

How did you guys divide the work?
I design the pattern, Ida creates the case file, I layout the pattern, Ida edits. There is a lot of e-mail going on 🙂 We also had two great test knitters helping us out, Sairy and Alynxia. Without them my job would have been much more stressful.

Do you have a favorite? Which one?
My favorite is Mae Finch, but only because it was the first. I loved seeing it grow up and become a published design. Ida’s favorite is Bobbie Strow. She loves how its constructed starting with the sideways knit lace cuff.

Just a reminder: At this time the book is $20 and each pattern individually is $3. However, mid June prices will go up to $28 for the book and $4 per individual pattern. You can find the book on Ravelry or on Crafty Detour.

Thank you for hosting a stop on the tour!

Thank you, Heather!  Heather is graciously giving away a copy of the ebook to one of my commenters.  All you have to do is comment on this post by Sunday May 15th midnight PST & leave me a way to contact you.  What’s your favorite sock technique? and favorite fabric (cables, lace, stranded, etc etc)?  (ETA:  me?  Cuff down, any fabric, Magic Loop.)

25 comments… add one
  • Tina Volz May 10, 2011, 9:08 am

I love Heather’s designs! Too many designs and not enough time!

• Anne Marie May 10, 2011, 12:37 pm

I am currently addicted to 2 at a time toe up, and I love cables. amchart on rav

• Sara May 10, 2011, 12:39 pm

I only do cuff down socks! Haven’t figured out toe-up yet…but I am wanting to learn…

Love to do lace, cables and some stranded work in my socks…

nhsarab on ravelry
    nhsarab at yahoo dot com

• Barbara Ann May 10, 2011, 12:43 pm

I’m old-school, I like both top up and top down, but I loves my dpns!

• Anne May 10, 2011, 12:59 pm

The CSI Sock Book looks as much fun to read as they will be to make! I’m just learning toe-up and am smitten by Olivia Fey.

• Jessie M. May 10, 2011, 1:12 pm

I love toe-up, but prefer heel flaps that go top down! And I loooove cables! These patterns look so fun!
    wickedsharp on Rav.

• Lauren May 10, 2011, 1:16 pm

I’m still learning how to knit, but I’m learning primarily to make socks, lol. I love how such a simple garment can turn into a work of art and look so awesome. Right now, I think the ones with cabling on them are the nicest looking.

• Carrie May 10, 2011, 1:35 pm

My favorite sock combo: top down, simple lace, on DPNs

• Melissa Z May 10, 2011, 9:20 pm

I am very new to knitting socks. So knew in fact that all I really have accomplished is a toe on dpns. haha. I am quickly learning and I look forward to experimenting more. Ideally I would love more intricate patterns with lace or cables but for now, simple is better. Thank you for the opportunity!

• Rebekka May 10, 2011, 10:57 pm

My favourite method is toe-up (especially when I have a limited amount of yarn), but I am also familiar with cuff-down, should the pattern require it. I love twisted stitch patterns and lace and prefer magic loop.

Rebekka on ravelry

• pip May 11, 2011, 1:29 am

Cuff down and DPNs… preferably bamboo 🙂

• Ilina May 11, 2011, 2:17 am

My favourite method is toe-up and I love lace patterns. I’ve yet to try magic loop and two at a time, so for the moment it’s only dpns for me.
    Love the sock “profiles”, they’re brilliant!

• adrienne May 11, 2011, 6:19 am

my favorite is still cuff down with a heel flap/gusset. i have a terrible time with short row heels. i love lace, cables, and beads! if i can have all of them in one sock, i am truly a happy camper! one sock at a time magic looper.

• barbara May 11, 2011, 10:43 am

i am new to socks and want to get enough experience to do two at a time socks. i love socks!!

• knittingdancer on Ravelry May 11, 2011, 2:27 pm

I haven’t knitted socks but I think the cuff down sock would be the way I would try.

• Katrin May 11, 2011, 2:43 pm

I love to knit my socks toe up and still have to try more top down. I try to avoid gussets and do short row heels. I mainly knit easy patterns and don’t find lace in socks appealing.

rainbowscuba on Ravelry

• Heather May 11, 2011, 5:44 pm

I started one at a time on DPN cuff down loved it. I tried Magic loop not for me. Now I do two circulars, two socks toe up so I can use every bit of yarny goodness. I will try any kind of fabric but not real successful with lace for some reason (I forget YOs alot).

lotsofhermies on Ravelry

• knitmomma May 12, 2011, 12:28 am

OMG those names are so funny! Beautiful designs, too…I especially like Olivia Fey.

knitmomma on Rav

• Susan May 12, 2011, 5:28 am

I love toe up TAAT socks!

• Pat May 12, 2011, 1:09 pm

Love to knit socks using Magic Loop 2 at a time, toe up. Usually have a pair on the needles.

• Karen May 14, 2011, 3:25 am

I would be happy to win this book!! My favorite technique is using two circulars to make socks. I like both toe-up and top-down probably equally. I like textured socks – cables and some lace is nice too – OK I like almost all the socks I have seen!! I am econnerd on Rav and you can contact me there 🙂

• Debbie H May 15, 2011, 3:28 am

Mine is toe-up. I like to anything 0 colorwork, cables, lace, etc. Debbie in Alaska

• Kirsi May 15, 2011, 6:05 am

I like dpns more than magic-loop and both toe-up and cuff-down are fine for me. I like to try all techniques but I haven’t yet knitted stranded socks.