What is technical editing for knitting?
- Checking all math.
- Checking all sizing/grading.
- Ensuring all stitch counts are correct.
- Ensuring stitch multiples are set up accurately.
- Checking that the dimensions are accurate based on gauge and instructions.
- Checking the pattern numbers against the schematic measurements.
- Checking the schematic for accuracy.
- Checking chart(s) for accuracy.
- Checking the pattern against the chart(s).
- Ensuring all conversions are correct (ex. inches to centimeters).
- Measurements are rounded appropriately and consistently.
- Checking yarn requirements for different sizes.
- Ensuring any tutorials and/or special instructions are logical and easy to follow.
Other things checked:
- Formatting of headings/subheadings/body copy is consistent and logical.
- Body copy is easily understandable and grammatically correct.
- Style, language and phrases are consistent.
- Rows are noted as rows and rounds as rounds.
- Punctuation is correct; rows/rounds end with a period.
- All supplies are listed.
- Gauge is always done in x sts by y rows = 4 in.
- Gauge is available for both Stockinette stitch and any pattern stitches.
- Use of fractions or decimals is consistent.
- Use of abbreviations & capitalization is consistent.
- All abbreviations are listed.
I appreciate all your help. I have been designing since 2008. I consider myself fairly experienced as a knitter and designer. I always have my patterns tech edited, but I’ve learned so much during the process with you. I think about things now that I never considered before. Thanks for helping me make my patterns more professional — Beverly S.
Stephannie greatly improved both the quality and the readability of my pattern, as well as providing top-notch schematics that matched what I was looking for. I appreciated that she kept me informed of her progress, and all services were completed in a timely and professional manner. I will definitely use her again if and when I need tech editing services — Kate K.
Stephannie impressed me with her quick turnaround, thorough editing, and her eye for detail. I look forward to working with her again on what I hope will be many more designs to come — Allison H.
Stephannie worked with me on my first pattern submission to Knit Picks. She did an excellent job, and I know I will ask for her help again in the future. She is a joy to work with, very professional and friendly. I was very nervous about my submission, but Stephannie’s tech editing made me much more confident, and my fingerless mitts were accepted! I couldn’t have done it without Stephannie! — Jan G.