≡ Menu

St Brigid Contemplations

I have quickly reached the decision that, even in the spirit of learning something new with every major project, it is quite enough to convert a dropped shoulder, unshaped Starmore Celtic cable design to a top down, set in sleeve sweater WITHOUT learning a new technique of doing set in sleeves (i.e. learning simultaneous as opposed to doing the  pick up & short row technique), especially as I am incorporating a saddle strap which is a new thing for me anyway.

Whew.

I am working on the first said saddle strap right now.

I may also do a 3 stranded braided cable (I think it’s chart D, page 62, of Aran Knitting, anyway it’s the second from the left in the pic on p 63) in between the celtic cables because I’m not especially fond of the original cable (in fact I’m doing a 4 strand braid, chart E, page 62 of Aran Knitting, for the saddle straps).  I do recognize that the original cables supplied a very strong, delineating, vertical presence.

I’ve entered my charts into Knit Visualizer, I’m sketching like a mad woman, I’ve researched everyone else’s versions and notes and mods, I’ve played with my swatches….I need to make sure my Rav page is updated.  (As opposed to actually WORKING on the knitting, of course.)

And I’m thinking it’s time for another blog contest.

Make a comment  regarding this project by midnight PST this  Sunday (March 22nd),  including a way to contact you if you win, and I’ll send you a set of Sunset Cat Stitchmarkers.

10 comments… add one
  • Jo March 18, 2009, 6:52 pm

While I love Aran knitting I haven’t yet tried a saddle strap either. I’ll be interested in how it works out for you. You’re a braver knitter than I just for that! Best of luck with it!

Jo

• AnneBinMaine March 18, 2009, 7:05 pm

Now that is really making St. Brigid your own. Will be watching your progress as I’ve yet to knit this one. Your gardens are lovely! Ours are still under 2′ of snow.

• Monica March 18, 2009, 10:05 pm

St Brigid is a design that has not left me alone since I saw her for the first time. After millions of swatches the first one is on her way. Fun to follow your project done i a different way.
    I´ll come back to your great website and see your garden and also check out the links about Japanese Knitting.

• Kitten With A Whiplash March 19, 2009, 11:14 am

To paraphrase an old adage, “Faint heart ne’er knit fair sweater.” Your adventuresome spirit is an inspiration.

• One Sheep March 19, 2009, 8:58 pm

I tried to design a sweater last year, but the more options I explored the further away I got from knowing what I wanted. I admire folks who can get an idea and fly with it.

• Aunt Kathy March 20, 2009, 8:51 am

I haven’t tried these techniques either amd I am intrigued by the knit visualizer, I have never seen this before. As a want to be designer I bet this would be very helpful.

I am gimpykatk on Ravelry

• Michelle March 20, 2009, 9:23 am

I love the cables and I can’t wait to see how the straddle strap looks on your finished project.

• that chick March 20, 2009, 7:54 pm

this is like when i was making my hedera. they were my first lace project and my first toe-up socks, both at once. ugh, did i get overwhelmed. but they did get finished and now they reside happily with a friend. and i won’t do toe-up again in a hurry.
    the moral of the story: one thing at a time, woman!

• Lise March 21, 2009, 5:36 am

I think there’s a difference between ‘learn something new with every project’ and ‘make every project as complicated as humanly possible’. Learning something new has more to do with how you look at what’s in front of you – I can do the same pattern three times and learn something new each time (just by changing little things and paying attention)…

• tami March 21, 2009, 12:03 pm

Wow!
    I like being challenged by knitting, but I don’t think I’d go that far just yet.
    Love to see pics when it’s done.
    Tami