≡ Menu

Logos, Blogs, & Design, oh my!

For better or worse, as an indie designer, you get to learn a lot about things that seem unrelated to designing — such as html, css, web design, and so on.

Over the next week or so I’ll be totally overhauling my blog. I’m updating to Thesis 2 (I’m currently running Thesis 1.8.3), which is NOT a simple update. The entire Thesis interface totally changed, and based on the number of ‘oh my gawd I’m totally lost and don’t even know what to ask about where to start’ posts on the forum, I’m not the only one who was initially lost.

I’ve found some good tutorials (I’ll add the links later for you) and am feeling fairly confident. I’ll be playing with my veterinarian page first, setting up the various templates with that. I think I can save the ‘skin’ I make, with all the various templates, and can import it into this page.

I’m going towards a nice clean look, with a static landing page, easier navigation, and so on.

What prompted this? Well, it’s something I’ve been thinking about doing for a long time, but I also wanted to do a logo redesign, and saw no point in doing the blog when the colors, fonts, images, etc were going to be dictated by the final logo.

I worked with MJ Gumayagay and I love what she came up with! You may’ve noticed it as the new header to the blog; I added that several days ago. It’s now being used in various other places: my Ravelry group, my Mailchimp newsletter, and so on. I need to update my patterns (yet again), this time with the logo & fonts (I purchased an awesome font, Gotham, which MJ used for the SUNSET CAT DESIGNS portion of the logo).

And did you notice the colors? Turquoise, my favorite! and a nice sand-evoking taupe. The logo looks awesome in black & white as well.

What do you think?

8 comments… add one
  • reWOLLuzza April 25, 2013, 12:08 am

I LOVE the new logo! And wish you good luck with the overhaul.

• Nic April 25, 2013, 12:31 am

Love the new logo and looking forward to seeing the full overhaul. Knitters make great techies! 😉

• Anne April 25, 2013, 5:37 am

LOVE it – a nice striking little graphic, and great color choice.

(And yeah… pfft… the whole “learn to be a computer guru” whilst doing everything else is so not my cup of tea either.)

• Luise April 25, 2013, 6:56 am

Love your new logo! Updating your patterns is a lot of work (how do I know this???) but so worth it in the end. Good luck with the ‘move’. 🙂

• Kris Redmond April 26, 2013, 7:01 am

The new logo is perfect. What a great way to refresh. You started with a really good product and now are moving into your next special stage. Worth all the hard work.

• K. Stephen Nelson April 26, 2013, 11:05 am

Stephannie,

Love the new look. I agree that designers should not have to become computer geeks. I’m not very interested in blog software, but I have spent the last three years+ developing software to simply the pattern problems. Write the pattern once in XML, similar to HTML but more content oriented (i.e. the pattern data not software idiosyncrasies), and then automatically generate HTML, PDF, etc. versions of the pattern. I currently merge some 30 odd documents (ie. yarn data, stitch dictionaries, designer info, etc.) together to produce the generated output. This makes rebranding a relatively simple process and then regenerate the output for all patterns. Oh did I mention the important part, I’m going to give this software away for FREE! If you’re interested, send me an email at k_stephen_nelson@hotmail.com, and we can open a dialog. I would very much like to get some real world input about how the final version works.

Steve

• StephCat April 26, 2013, 4:30 pm

Thanks for the compliment!
      I do all my pattern & eBook layout in Indesign & am happy doing so (templates/style sheet etc done). But that’s a whole ‘nother blog post, lol.