≡ Menu

WIP: Mrs Crosby Reticule Shawl (Part 2)

in progress main bodyI’m in progress on the as-of-yet-still-unnamed Mrs Crosby Reticule Shawl. My goal date for the sample to be finished is the June summer TNNA show.

I frogged my initial prototype.

I just wasn’t liking it. In fact I was rather hating it.

You may recall I posted about this shawl about a month ago.  It’s a companion piece to Isn’t It Romantic?, but worked in laceweight yarn (Mrs Crosby Reticule, 100% merino) and a totally different shape. It (still) starts with a few cast on stitches, and grows into a wedge/curled shape shawl.

The main body of the shawl HAD a simple stockinette and lace panel design. I even sort of blocked it out, keeping it on the circular needle, to see how it would look. It was, to me, for this project, boring and a little messy looking.  I didn’t like the edges. I didn’t like the lace rib.

One of the things that I’ve found as a designer is that I can go through several love/hate phases on a project. Even if there’s a time I’m not really sure of a project, often if I trust myself and power on, all will turn out fine.  I didn’t get that feeling of uncertainty on this one, though. I was simply hating it.

That’s part of being a designer, too – knowing when something isn’t working, and trusting yourself on that, too.

And it is always better to frog sooner than later.

I spent a day playing with different stitch patterns (I use Stitch Maps in lieu of swatching and as an initial check on stitch counts) and redoing the charts. I ended up choosing a very pretty leaf lace panel, from one of the Barbara Walker stitch dictionaries, for the main body of the shawl.

It now makes me happy.

Comments on this entry are closed.