A few years ago I saw a flurry of bloggy activity about a gorgeous, gorgeous sweater: Am Kamin.
I coveted that sweater.
Unfortunately, it (along with Herbstlied, which I love even more) are in the same mental to-do pile with all the Alice Starmore sweaters I want to do (Irish Moss, Fern, Little Rivers are some of my favorites — and I do have St Brigid in progress).
However, in the process of learning about Japanese knitting, the different symbols, etc I compiled the following list of useful links. Keep in mind that most of these were found pre-Ravelry; if I had to start now, I’d start first with the Ravelry group and go from there. Regardless, I’ve bolded the sites I think are most helpful.
Books I especially recommend:
- Any of the stitch dictionaries (I have 100, 250, 300)
- Clear & Simple Knitting Symbols
YesAsia also has many titles.
Symbols and Stitches
- Japanese Knitting: Tata-Tatao
- Japanese Knitting Stitches
- Basic stitches
- Fleegle’s Primer
- FluffBuff’s Japanese blog posts
- YarnOver: Translating different languages
KALs and Groups
Japanese Knitting Blogs
- Ishi-Knit: in Japanese
Other Help & Project Notes
- Bubble Gum Knit’s notes
- Theresa’s Am Kamin
- Knitting Park’s Japanese entries
- Knit Buddies Library
- Japanese Knitting Patterns
Newly added site (6/20/11):